Last weekend I took my newly refurbished dob out to the Mojave Desert for a trial run.
- First the completely dissembled scope stacks neatly and fit easily in the back seat of my truck (It fit perfectly in the space of the one person seat). This enabled me to put lots of other stuff in the bed on my truck. It is very light and easy to carry. I do not need any handles or wheels. I would almost consider it a grab and go scope.
- Set-up was fast and easy. The only thing I forgot to do was to put the bearings on before I put the top ring on. Colimation was fast and easy. The Destiny spider is so easy to adjust.
- The scope is perfectly balanced. I can use any eyepiece from an 1-1/4 to my 2” Nagler without having to use any extra weight.
- The scope is rock steady and stays exactly where I aim it. It has absolutely no backlash of wobble.
- The scope moves a smooth as glass and takes very little effort to push it from one object to another.
- Contrast of images is very good. I see no difference between the open tube design and the closed tube that I had.
- The scope was a total pleasure to use. On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 10+.
Kit assembly was very easy. All the parts were perfectly cut and fit together perfectly. I sanded the edges a little before I varnished the wood but that wasn’t really necessary. Most everything was ready to go. The only thing I had a little trouble with was getting the scope balanced in relation to the bearings. I could easily find the balance point on the OTA but didn’t really know how to set the bearings in relation to that point. I basically used trial and error to get it right.
I know that I will be using the scope for a long, long time! I can’t wait to get my digital setting circles.
Thanks for all the work you did in making the design and kit.
Greg, Visalia, California (March 13, 2008)